Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Boorowa Hotel

Oh dear, this picture by Gordon Smith took me back. It is a photo of the Boorowa Hotel

Gordon calls in for coffee on his way between Canberra and Armidale.

When I first moved to Canberra to work, I did the trip back to Armidale many times. Bored with a single route, I experimented.

How many time did I do this run in both directions? I'm not sure. Certainly over 400, a 1,000 k in each direction!

In doing so, I went through country that most modern coast hugging Australians never see. I guess that you could say that this is part of my country. 

2 comments:

Rummuser said...

There were many similar looking hotels that I had stayed in during my traveling days. Almost without exception, all of them have now been converted to concrete monsters and I always regret the passing away of those leisurely days.

Jim Belshaw said...

Interesting, Ramana. Commercial travelers were the life blood of such hotels. Now many of the old hotels have gone and so have most of the reps.