Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday Morning Musings - economic and demographic change, education, ethnicity and the maintenance of social cohesion in Australia 1

This series dealing with change in Australia began as a single post. This was far too long, so I have broken it into a number of shorter posts.

The trigger for the series is a recent series of campaigning articles by the Sydney Morning Herald, articles that have helped generate a range of associated coverage on topics such as Sydney's decline, White flight and the problems of NSW's Aboriginal communities.

I dealt with this in an opinion piece, Economic and demographic change, education, ethnicity and the maintenance of social cohesion in Australia. I wasn't impressed. I thought, among other things, that the paper's somewhat sensational approach had trivialised serious problems without providing real solutions.

So this series sets out my response. A list of posts follows. Supporting references are included at the end of each post.

Posts in the series:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noted this on the appropriate posts.

Jim Belshaw said...

Thank you Neil. Very much appreciated. You will understand why this is an important post from my perspective.