I have had a very frustrating morning. For much of the morning I have been unable to access any of my blogs. They just won't load. It appears that there has been a problem with Site Meter, my main stats package, that carries across to blogger.
With much reluctance, I have removed Site Meter for the present from this blog. I am hoping that Site Meter can fix the problem. In the meantime, my other blogs will continue to fail to load.
The problem is still there and across the blogosphere. Neil, who uses Firefox, said that he could see the blogs. Looking at the comments on the Google blogs, there does appear to be some linkage to IE. It is IE that is failing to load.
Google itself has not commented. However, it is clear that Site Meter is looking at at least a minor commercial disaster since blogspot bloggers are now removing the Site Meter code in droves (I did so too on this blog as a test).
I cannot access the Site Meter site itself to find out what is wrong since that site too causes IE to abort. Blog comments suggest that Site Meter is unmanned at weekends. If so, that is a real problem for them because they may not realise until Monday that they have a bit of a crisis on their hands.
A little later
A google search on "site meter blogger problems" shows a growing avalanche. See Blog Herald as an example. I am only guessing, but Site Meter has probably had many thousand bloggers remove the code by now. It's not doing Microsoft any good either.
Checking google blog search, there have been 20 posts in the last 30 minutes telling people to remove their Site Meter code!
Well, everything seems to be working again, so don't have to to take the code of my other sites. It will be interesting to find out just what happened.