Sunday, November 08, 2009

A story for Kanani

I was thinking of Kanani  as I wrote Armidale mum and writer's million dollar book deal. It is the type of story that will enthuse all writers. I did not put details in the story because I want people to read the original.

I have written a fair bit about New England and especially Armidale writers. To live in Armidale is to be surrounded by writers and writing, aspiring and already successful, live and dead. It's a story that has never been properly written, although I have made some initial attempts.

For the benefit of international readers, the New England university city of Armidale is 350 miles north north west of Sydney and has a population of just 22,000. In Armidale, you run into writers at coffee, in the supermarket, at the pub, at functions.

When youngest gets published - she is quite addicted and has just finished the start and end of each book in her new vampire series; it was to be four volumes, but has now gone to five - she will be the fourth in a direct generational line with publications. She is also quite happy to please her dad and accept the title of Armidale writer. After all, she was born there!

Retuning to Kanani, given your interest in inspiring others to write and write well, the story may be worth a post.        

2 comments:

Kanani said...

I'll pop over and read it!

I've always written about writing in some form or another. But nowhere did I get more questions about it than when I went to a milblogging conference.

It was a thrill to have people asking me questions, and also to be in a position to encourage them. In my experience, there are far too many "teachers" who choose not to inspire, but act more as glorified critics.

So every Friday, I'm coming up with a column just on writing for the military community. It's going to be fun, because I think they deserve just that.

Jim Belshaw said...

Your point about critic is well taken, Kanani. I too get a thrill out of helping.

I find your military focus interesting. I hadn't properly realised the sheer size of the US military community until I started reading you.