Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How do you deal with frustration?

I am sitting here tonight just feeling frustrated and bored. I know that I shouldn't.

My stats show me this blog will achieve record figures in May on both visits and page views. There are many things around that I am interested in, some good stories that would probably interest a broader readership. I have been invited to write a short piece on the Vincent family for the new companion to the Australian Media. My old school first VI has beaten both Grammar and Sydney High School. My eldest daughter who I dearly love will be home soon. Yet it's all ashes in my mouth.

Have you ever read John Buchan's John McNab? It's actually a very good yarn about successful British leaders in the first part of the last century who get bored and need to do something new. They become poachers.

I am not like them. National politics doesn't quake at my very word, much as I would like it. Yet the feeling is the same.

This morning when I was trying to write my Armidale Express column I really didn't feel like it. At 5am I was trying to drag the words out. Mind you, I am annoyed with the Express. They have cropped my photo and reduced my prominence as part of their new layout. I would swear the typeface is smaller. This certainly doesn't help my mood. Or has my mood affected my perceptions?

Assuming that I am one of the characters in John McNab. What would you advise me? And no, horse stealing in a country where this is a capital offence is not on the list, nor am I prepared to join the crew of a tramp steamer! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Jim

I used to feel exactly as you, but then realized I needed new glasses, and suddenly my prominence was restored, and the typeface became more legible.

It may be hard for you to produce, but I assure you the reading's a pleasure.

Kvd

Jim Belshaw said...

That's kind, David, but the frustration is still real. New glasses might help (mine are badly broken) but I still feed the need to somehow break out!

Neil said...

I play with my templates. ;)

Jim Belshaw said...

Thank you for making me laugh, Neil!

Winton Bates said...

I think I know how you feel, Jim.

Actually I haven't got much idea, but when I get what might be a similar feeling I think of it as relevance deprivation syndrome. One of my remedies is to feel grateful that I am not Kevin Rudd or Malcolm Turnbull - and that my career in the public service didn't take me to giddy heights.

Jim Belshaw said...

Winton, I love the idea of "relevance deprivation syndrome"! It's classic. I will use it!