November three years ago I wrote a full post (Sunday Essay - New Zealand elections 2008) on the results of the New Zealand elections, including an analysis of the electoral system. Yesterday's elections saw:
- John Key's National Party returned to power
- Labor's lost seats quite heavily
- The Greens seem to have picked up four seats, but unlike Australia are still effectively locked out
- ACT, big winners from the last election in relative terms, are down to one seat with former Reserve Bank Governor Don Brash out of Parliament
- New Zealand First and the mercurial Winston Peters are back in Parliament after electoral annihilation last time.
For those interested in more details, the NZ Herald coverage is here.