Friday, October 05, 2012

Roast leg of lamb Swedish style

In a comment on In search of Bombay Duck, JCW wrote:

And I still do coffee lamb as a special treat! It's a great favourite with my lot, but I'm naughty now and use cream rather than Carnation. Mind you, the redcurrant jelly can sometimes be hard to find. I also have an ancient Robert Carrier recipe (also called Swedish Lamb) which has the lamb in chunks, and involves carrots, so more a casserole, but nowhere near as nice as 'ours'. Gosh that brings back memories!
Lammstek – Swedish Roast Leg of Lamb. Photo by Peter J
I promptly asked to be reminded of the recipe! However, it got me thinking.
I had vaguely thought that roast leg of lamb Swedish style was one my idiosyncrasies. I knew that I had got it from a recipe book, but that was about it. I hadn't heard of it since I stopped cooking it. So now I went searching. Here are some recipes for the dish:
I am still looking forward to JCW's recipe. None of those I have read quite match my memory.

Postscript:
Carole  asked me to put up a link to her post - Food on Friday: Lamb.

Postscript two

JCW kindly supplied the following recipe for Roast Leg of Lamb Swedish Style.

Lamb: leg (whole or butterflied.Rub lamb with salt and mustard (yep, good old fashioned mustard powder), cut slits in flesh and insert slivers of garlic. Brown all over in heavy based pan, then transfer to rack in baking dish; cok until desired doneness in moderate oven or BBQ, but you must have a pan to catch the juices. Baste frequently with a strong coffee and sherry mixture (instant c and sherry de cuisine are fine; proportions about 1: 4coffee:sherry; you should need at least 1 cup ). Rest your lamb when done. Mix 1-2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly with enough cornflour to thicken sauce, then add cream, sour cream, or evaporated milk (abt 1/2 cup). Serve with your favourite veg - roast potatoes are a must, and wash down with an aged Hunter shiraz - bliss! This is very rich, so follow with some summer berries sprinkles with a little eg moscato (and drink the rest) or a fizzy sorbet soda; take a tall glass, add a small scoop of berry sorbet, and top up with a carefully poured nice domestic fizz. Toast old times and old loves!EnjoyJCW

Doesn't it sound luscious?! And, JCW, I will definitely toast old times and old loves! 

In a comment here, JCW added this correction: 
ooops, that's 4:1 coffee to sherry; sorry! Why is there never a good proofreader around when you need one? yes, and you cook it, not cok it, and there are probably some more idiocies, but I'm sure intelligent perusers can still make it out!
 

2 comments:

Jim Belshaw said...

Hi Carole. Done

Anonymous said...

ooops, that's 4:1 coffee to sherry; sorry! Why is there never a good proofreader around when you need one? yes, and you cook it, not cok it, and there are probably some more idiocies, but I'm sure intelligent perusers can still make it out!
J