The news that UK beef products were found to contain horse meat (in the case of supermarket chain Tesco apparently up to 30 per cent of the all beef hamburgers) has attracted some wry humour. Here are some examples that came around via email:
- Why the fuss about horse meat in UK foods? I believe horse meat tastes just like Black Caviar.
- I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse..... I guess Tesco just listened!
- Anyone want a burger from Tesco? Yay or neigh?
- Not entirely sure how Tesco are going to get over this hurdle.
- Waitress in Tesco asked if I wanted anything on my Burger. So I had £5 each way!
- Had some burgers from Tesco for my tea last night ...I still have a bit between my teeth.
- A woman has been taken into hospital after eating horse meat burgers from Tesco. Her condition is said to be stable.
- Tesco are now testing all their vegetarian burgers for traces of unicorn
- I've just checked the Tesco burgers in my freezer ... AND THEY'RE OFF
- Tesco now forced to deny presence of zebra in burgers, as shoppers confuse barcodes for serving suggestions
- Said to the missus, These Tesco burgers give me the trots
- To beef or not to beef, that is equestrian
- A cow walks into a bar. Barman says, "Why the long face?" Cow says "Illegal ingredients, coming over here stealing our jobs!
- I hear the smaller version of those Tesco burgers make great horse d'oeuvres
- These Tesco burger jokes are going on a bit.... Talk about flogging a dead horse!
I must say I laughed.