Monday, February 26, 2018

Brief reflections on children and childhood


"We just love these cool, misty mornings. 
That's my whole world right there."
Lara Flanagan, My Notes from New England
Anybody who has been a parent will sometimes have struggled with what they should or should not say to their kids.

I think that this has become more difficult for us all because there are now so many views (and rules) on what we are meant to say or not say, do or not do.

I mention this now because I have just read Lara Flanagan's post Kindness is so much better than being right on her blog, My Notes from New England. Yes, yes, I said. .

For those who don't know Lara, her web site describes herself in this way:
My name is Lara Flanagan and My Notes from New England is about the journey I travel with my constant companions of my young twins Archie and Larissa, my two mad dogs Kevin & Rosie and the beautiful world of New England that I call home. 
My Notes from New England began with the stories of how a single mum city girl embraced a new life in the country. It documented our travels as we donned backpacks and traipsed around the world for 9 months and now it follows us as we explore and celebrate the beautiful world that is the New England region, Australia and beyond. 
My Notes from New England was inspired by challenges I have faced since embarking on a complete lifestyle change which was sparked by a major health crisis in the form of a diagnosis of MS.
In addition to her blog, Lara has a Facebook Page and a twitter handle.I love her photos and have taken the liberty of reproducing one above.

My girls are older now and seem to have grown up okay. Well, I think that they are pretty bloody special but then I'm their dad. I would think that way!

I know that I'm not alone in that perspective. All parents struggle to some degree, but with love most kids survive the experience and turn out okay.

If I had one piece of advice to offer to new parents, it would be don't worry or agonise too much. Enjoy the ride. They will grow up far too fast anyway!

2 comments:

2 tanners said...

My advice would be: They will astonish you. Try not to overreact when they do. :)

Jim Belshaw said...

Laughs. You are just too right 2t! I listen to my girls with amazement, wondering how we managed that!