Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I hate daylight saving!

I had become an early morning person. Over recent years I have got up around 4am, going to bed early to compensate.

At 4am the world is quiet. Concentration is good. Blog post flow easily. Then comes the slow growth of light. Light is good. The world awakes.

Dawn. Suddenly the light brightens. I wander outside to enjoy the day. Shower, and then to work, charged.

No more, I fear. Up at 4am, it's dark. 5am it's still dark. Ditto at six. Official sunrise is now after 7. By then I am getting ready for work, sometimes I am on my way to work.

Our body clocks are set by the sun. Getting up early, going to bed early, all dictated by the combination of body clock and habit.

In the evening I have to cook tea. I like wine with my meal, so I don't feel like working. So evenings are a do and wind down time. Then to bed.

In this extended daylight saving time my body clock has got out of kilter. I am going to bed later and later, getting up later. The net effect is less time to do the things that I want.

Still, just a few days to go.

I thought that all this was just me. Then I found that my wife and some of my colleagues are suffering from a somewhat similar problem. They, too, are waiting for daylight saving to end to restore the mornings.

Postscript

In a comment, Bob Quiggin reckoned that I should either move to the Solomon Islands or buy an alarm clock! Gordon Smith, on the other hand, is suffering in a similar way. I quote:

Indeed. Having awoken at 5.45 am, risen, prepared the porridge for cooking later, prepared the dog's breakfast, ironed a shirt for the day, checked my email, etc, I'm sitting tapping my fingers waiting for it to be light enough outside to be able to let the dogs take me for a run. (No street lights here!).

Gordon, by the way, lives on a property outside Armidale, hence no street lights.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Come up here to the tropics to live. No daylight saving and your curtains will be safe too. Sunrise varies in the course of the year from 6:00 to 6:30, as does sunset. By 7:30 it is completely dark, no matter what time of year it may be.

Of course, perish the thought, you could always invest in an alarm clock which goes off at the same time whatever the time of year. You would actually habituate quite quickly.

But I know you hate technology :)

Anonymous said...

Indeed. Having awoken at 5.45 am, risen, prepared the porridge for cooking later, prepared the dog's breakfast, ironed a shirt for the day, checked my email, etc, I'm sitting tapping my fingers waiting for it to be light enough outside to be able to let the dogs take me for a run. (No street lights here!).

Jim Belshaw said...

Bob, Dee reckons we should visit!To explain my attitudes to technology is far too complicated for a post.

By the way, a work colleague (Debbie Kearns) who used to share a house with Dee leaves tomorrow for the SI where she is running a governance course. It's in another area, but will try to send you the details in the remote event that you might coincide.

Jim Belshaw said...

Gordon, I will run your comment as a full postscript to the post!