Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Problems with Kiki

I couldn't resist sharing this one. Locals will have seen it, international readers may not. Kiki

The NSW Roads and Traffic Authority sent Newcastle lawyer Kristen Perry a please explain letter over her Kiki number plate.

Kiki has been Ms Perry's nickname since she was a child, and the plates were purchased for her some time ago by her husband. 

Personalised number plates are not meant to be obscene or to cause offence. In this case, someone complained because Kiki apparently translates to vagina in the Philippine language Tagalog.  

The matter attracted considerable media attention and the RTA has hastily backed off!

If you would like to know more, Dan Proudman's story in the Sydney Morning Herald provides more details. The photo comes from that story.

Postscript

I hadn't realised that I had missed the link to Dan's original story. Now inserted. My apologies.

4 comments:

Rummuser said...

Jim, you gave me double joy. You will know why when you read my blog tomorrow when you will get a ping back. Thank you.

Jim Belshaw said...

Hi Ramana. You have me very curious!

Anonymous said...

James, When Rosie and I cycled from Adelaide to Wagga Wagga in 1996 we met up with david and Kiki Nicholson who were cycling around the world. David and Kiki have since become lifelong friends. Kiki's mother named her after an 80s English television character called Kiki the Frog!

Cheers James

Jim Belshaw said...

Hi Jamie. That's quite funny!