Wednesday, January 04, 2012

The best of Neil Whitfield's least read posts

I am in a somewhat random mood this morning. I am going to limit myself today to just one thing.  In a comment on Introspection on the start of a new year, Winton Bates wrote:

Some bloggers point their readers to the most popular posts they have written, but one day I think I will make a feature of the 'most ignored' posts I have written - the ones that I think more people should have read!

This lead Neil Whitfield (Ninglun) to write My most ignored posts of 2011. For my own pleasure, I decided to review the posts Neil listed and select three that I thought were best.

Let me start with my favourite post, Being Australian 21: inclusive multiculturalism Aussie style 12 – video interlude. With this post, you must watch the videos. If you do, you will get a feel for modern Australia with its complexities and confusions. Neil and I may disagree on certain things, but both of us are concerned with what makes Australia Australia. 

My second favourite is Reflections, mostly about a chequered teaching career: Part Five + Salinger. It's not a long post.

Neil is first and foremost a teacher. I have been reading and responding to him since soon after I started blogging. We have only met once, at Lord Malcolm's funeral. I went not because I knew Lord M, but because I thought that I should to show support. I am glad that I did, although it was in some ways an odd experience. After all, why was I there?

The third post is another English post, Performance poetry has its place.

L eave it to you to enjoy Neil's work. 

6 comments:

Neil said...

Thanks, Jim.

Jim Belshaw said...

A pleasure, Neil!

Neil Whitfield said...

Of course the trouble is these are no longer my least read posts. Oh well, of 2011 they still are, but 2012 thanks to you, Jim, they are doing quite nicely!

Jim Belshaw said...

That's nice to know, Neil!

Winton Bates said...

Thanks Jim. They were well worth looking at. I will visit Neil's blog to view some more.

Jim Belshaw said...

Neil has written some very good stuff over time, Winton. I think that a tour of that past material would be well worthwhile.