Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snippets

The death of Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash marks the end of an era. It is also another footnote in the troubled history of the Eastern Mediterranean where the overhang of the past is ever present.

The release of a World Bank report forecasting further global slowdown received extensive coverage in Australia, here for example. The reporting on economic woes in the EU and the consequent global flow on effects has largely ignored the political implications. One sad part of the weakening of the EU lies in the way it affects or might affect the role the EU has played in reducing the historical divides th<em>Illustration: Cathy Wilcox</em>at bedeviled Europe.

  Here in Australia, debate over controls on poker machines drags on (and here, here). Those in favour of change are trying to regain support, including a campaign from the ubiquitous GetUp. The point I made in earlier posts on this issue, the reason why I thought that Mr Wilkie's changes as proposed, lay in the differential impacts of the legislation.

This, the poker machines case, is an interesting one for those interested in the political and policy process. I have been meaning to return to it.

In a comment on Rules of the grocery shopping game, regular commenter kvd wrote: 

Reminds me that you used to occasionally throw in some really good cooking posts, Jim.

Not only were they fun, but they also caused me to revisit my normal purchases to try to share in the pleasure. Was it Oliver who said "More please, Sir"?

It has been a while since I did a cooking post as such. My writing on this blog in particular is influenced by what is happening around me, as well as my shifting personal interests.

I am not a foodie. I think Australian TV program Masterchef actually put me writing about food. Then, too, the cooking I have done in recent times has been fragmented and pedestrian. Still, maybe the grocery shopping game will re-ignite interest and give me some new ideas! In the meantime, A la mode frangourou remains my favourite food blog.

For a period, World War II Day by Day ceased regular publication. It's been back for a little while, and is again on my daily read list. On this day in 1942, the Japanese advance in Malaya continues inexorably. Maybe a post?  

No comments: